One of the things that I'm learning as I go through this is how easy it could be to just slip back into old habits. Since Nathan has gone home there has been a sense of relief that I can get back on track. While he was here I did go out to dinner a couple of times (one of the biggest no-no's on my program). But I only see him once a year so and he is my youngest son! I had to ask myself several times to put everything into checks and balances because while traveling next year is the entire purpose of this program, I want to enjoy my time with him so while it felt very uncomfortable eating out on the last dinner because we had already eaten out once before, I just relaxed and enjoyed my time with my family. BUT now that he is gone I can see where it would be so easy to just go back to the way things were. My only saving grace has been that I think I actually LEARNED something prior to his arrival and now couldn't wait until I could just tighten things up again.
One of the best things has been my bi-weekly budget. Once my bills were paid which always feels great, I was able to just relax knowing Mary and I were all set this week. I was also able to loan my other son some money until his next payday. I hate doing that but his credit with me is outstanding so I didn't mind after I thought about it. I'm also learning where adjustments are needed on the entire program and how to make them. What I don't want to happen is I just adjust myself out of the program! I really want to spend some time this week reading more blogs from other people doing this and hopefully get some ideas on how they are making changes. I've learned is that I actually enjoy managing my money and making the right decisions as I work towards something I really want. I don't think I'll stop after a year but will fine tune this for life and hopefully teach all of my children how to live within a spending fast.
No comments:
Post a Comment