Monday, June 13, 2011

the beginning

I watch Clark Howard on Saturday mornings because I'm interested in getting the most out of my paycheck. I am a single mother of four children (three sons who live away from home and my daughter who lives with me). This blog is about our journey through a spending fast.

I watched with interest the story of Anna Newell Jones and her story about her spending fast. I was hooked. I don't make a lot and haven't had a raise at my job since I began but I'm still pretty greatful for the job especially since I'm in the construction field so no complaints there but I was sure I could do this. I asked my daughter (Mary, 10) to think of something really expensive she wanted. She thought for a minute and stated: "I want to go to Paris." I thought "What a cool idea!" And so it begins. I have had two days to do some basic research and told Mary we were through with eating out (which we do A LOT) just because I get so darn tired at night. I asked her to pick the restaurant of her choice for her last meal and we proceeded to enjoy two number ones at McDonalds.

I began to make a list of the basics to start:
1. Where am I spending right now
2. What can be eliminated
3. What can't be eliminated
4. What do I need to do right now to keep on track

Here is what I've come up with:

Spending - I know the basics of my budget and what needs to be included for the baseline - rent, utilities (electric, water and cable though cable is getting a serious review), my cell phone, food, gas and daycare. I have three credit cards with very low balances so they will be the first to be paid off, a car loan and car insurance.

The Elimination
Cable - right now the cable bill is running about $150 per month. While most would not consider this a necessity, I do need internet as I am occaisionally required to work from home and most of the communication from the school comes via email. That being said, the internet is part of a package but that doesn't mean we can't find something for elimination. I need to get my son David here so he can show me how my tv works without cable. I haven't been able to figure it out with the digital migration as it's called so that will obviously be first on the list. I don't have movie packages so the possiblity exists for just an internet package. I've just pulled a copy of the cable bill for review - your guess is as good as mine on how your billed.
Everyday Double Play - this is showing Voice Services, Economy Internet, Digital Voice Local With More $26.95 (side note - I don't have a landline phone so I'm not sure what the Digital Voice is all about)
Digital with On Demand $59.99
TWO DVRs $31.90
Cable Modem Lease $7.00
Total Taxes $15.42
This comes to $141.26 - GEEZ this is ridiculous!!!
I know the DVRs can go and the investment in a modem will eliminate that charge - anyone know where to get a used modem??? With the elimination of the DVRs goes the digital with On Demand.

This is just one bill disected and I'm already exhausted. And it doesn't include the amount of time I'll need to spend on the phone with the cable company as they try to explain how the billing works, try to convince me that I need cable and just annoy me.

I'm signing off for now. I really am tired and am going to take Mary on a bike ride. Tomorrow's subject: COUPONS and the Food Budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment